Tuesday, October 7

Blahbity, Blah, Complain Complain, etc.

I’m having one of those evenings where everything just sort of stresses me out. And of course, some of it I brought on myself. Which in a way, just makes it that much worse, because I can add a little bit of guilt to the stress. Let me tell you about my evening.

I went to Crate & Barrel after work because I wanted the countertop composter that I saw in their catalog. It turns out to be nothing more than a bucket with a filter in the lid. Of course, I buy it anyway because I’m determined to start composting. And now that I have the composter, I will actually have to start composting, which I have no idea how to do. I know this isn’t logical, but that is stress #1.

After C & B, I picked up our produce from the CSA we joined this year. This stresses me because we’ve been wasting so much food (hence the desire for composting) and I hate wasting such good food. But with Andrew so busy, we haven’t been cooking much at home. And when I say “much,” I mean “at all.” In fact, I can’t remember the last time we cooked at home together. I hate when Andrew is so busy because I really love hanging out with him. So wasting food and missing my husband encompass stresses #2 and #3.

Picking up the food reminds me of the fact that I have no idea what I’m going to make for dinner tonight, and since Andrew’s in class, I’m again on my own for eating. Stress #4.

When I arrive at home, this note from Marrs Tree Service falls out of the front door: “The maple in front has a lot of damage to the trunk. It would probably be better to remove it and start over. Remove it, haul away, grind the stump: $150.” Is that not just the most depressing thing? We’re probably going to lose this beautiful tree, the largest tree in our front yard, the one that shades the front of the house and gives us some privacy in the bedroom (which we need a lot of, if you know what I mean. I mean, Andrew likes to walk around in his boxer briefs. what did you think I meant?). And on top of that, we’re going to have to pay them $150 to lose the tree. So this is stress #5.

After heading inside, I go about the business of washing the produce from this week and throwing out the produce from last week that has gone bad. I decide to make pizza sauce with all the tomatoes we’ve got, so I set about doing that. But that’s going to take awhile, and still won’t produce any dinner for me. And I’m hungry. And because I’m feeling stressed and just worn out and the pizza sauce reminds of pizza (obviously), I order pizza. And ordering pizza is bad for me because I will eat the pizza. And because I will eat the pizza, I won’t go to the gym, only making the effects of eating the pizza that much more pronounced. Stresses #6 and #7. (told you it wasn’t logical—I totally brought these on myself)

So that’s my evening. I’m now going to watch the Presidential debate. I’m sure that will be just the pick-me-up I need.

2 comments:

Emoly said...

Hehe. I liked your post. That's my Megan. I want some of your veggies and some of that pizza too.

Dan said...

Which CSA did you join? We joined one too, and we also end up wasting a lot of the food and feeling really guilty about it.