Monday, April 6

Gimme More

There’s only two types of people in the world: ones that like Britney Spears and ones that do not. I fall into the former category. Last Thursday, I went to her “Circus” show and it was awesome.

My pop-loving friend JiaoJiao went with me, and other than K-Fed himself, there was no one else I would have rather gone with. Jiao and I have loved Britney for years. Back when we were roommates, we would sing along to all the singles, and we weren’t even being ironic about it.

Because I like having money, I bought the second-from-worst seats in the arena, and they were definitely not close. “Really far away” is a better descriptor. “Practically in Nebraska” might also give you a sense of where we were sitting. This maaaaaay have been a bad choice. All of the pictures I took are blurry. The zoom feature on my camera was all, why are you making me work so haaaarrrrd? And I was all, just do it camera! And the camera was like, phhhhbbbbttttt. Camera: one, Megan: zero. So the pictures are not so good.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Jiao and I have been planning this evening for a looong time. Too long. Jiao knew exactly what she was going to wear (down to the color of eyeshadow) days in advance. I was not quite as prepared, so Jiao came over Thursday afternoon to help me. Actually, we helped each other. She picked out my outfit, and I gave her a pink cami that nearly exactly matched her pink top so she wouldn’t have to worry about her boobs popping out. (we like Britney, but we don’t want to be just like her, you know.)

Dressed and makeupped, we headed to the P&L District for dinner and drinks. While we were eating/drinking, we got into quite a discussion about our 401ks and IRAs. No kidding. Then I reminded us that we were about to go see BRITNEY and we needed to start acting a little more like teenagers than responsible adults. So we stole some vanilla vodka from our parents’ liquor cabinet, stayed out past our curfew, and got something pierced, then headed over to the concert.


There was a long line to get in. Way too long. We got in line about 30 minutes before the Pussycat Dolls were supposed to go on, and we didn’t get inside until they were almost finished. We did have plenty of scantily-clad girls in the line around us to entertain us. Lots of fishnets and cleavage. We only saw two PCD songs. (Which was totally fine, because we didn’t even know how many dolls there were. I thought five—we only saw four. Go figure.) (But then I read in the newspaper that one of them left after two songs, so apparently there are five?? And where did the fifth go? Did she have somewhere more important to be?)

This is the post-Pussycat Dolls, pre-Britney set up. I'm only showing it
because (sadly) it was one of the most-clear pictures I took.
But no sign of Britney here.

Before Britney came on, we were entertained with sideshow acts. Jugglers, crazy flexible people doing crazy balancing things, unicycle riders, acrobats, etc. All that good stuff. Then the real magic began to happen. A video from Perez Hilton, then Britney descended from up above, wearing… a costume. I couldn’t really see it (see para. 3). There were lots of lights, tons of dancing, and some singing. Or possibly lip-synching. But who really cares? There was a golden cage and a stripper pole, a giant umbrella and some pyrotechnics. It was all poptastic and fun, and Jiao and I had a great time.

The set list was not what I expected. Only three songs were from her current “Circus” album. Most were from the last album, and she only did a few of her older hits. We heard no “Lucky” or “Oops I Did It Again.” The complete set list (you may skip to the next paragraph if you don’t care At All): Circus, Piece of Me, Radar, Ooh Ooh Baby/Hot as Ice, If U Seek Amy, Me Against the Music, Freakshow, Get Naked, Everytime, Breathe on Me, Touch of My Hand, Do Something, Slave, Toxic, Baby One More Time, and for the encore, Womanizer.

By the end of the night, we were hoarse and exhausted. And the next day my abs hurt, presumably from all the cheering? I should really do more crunches…
Look! There's a blonde woman on top of that cage!

There she is again!

Finally! Another clear picture.
But again, no sign of Britney Spears in this photo
.

No comments: