Monday, September 1

Labor Day Weekend, Part 1: The House

Don’t you just luuuuuvvvvvvvv three-day weekends? Sleeping late, relaxing, enjoying the weather, barbecuing . . . those kinds of things? Well. Then my weekend? Was not for you. Apparently they don't call it Labor Day for nothing.


From 8:00 until about 4:30 or 5:00 we did more housey stuff (every. single. day. OMG.)The Paint was painted. The Trim was trimmed. The Doors were a late-60s rock band. I’ve never had a less relaxing weekend in my life. But the house is looking fantastic. The white trim looks awesome next to the green walls. And it’s looking together enough that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. We’re not actually installing a tunnel, though I wouldn’t put it past Mark and Stan.


This is Stan. Did you know he had an emergency appendectomy, like, a week ago?

This is Mark. He is painting.
(see what I just wrote there? that is a perfect example of my prose,
my word skillz, if you will. THIS is what draws my readers in, like a moth to a flame.
)


This is Sarah and Andrew. Andrew got sunburned that day.
The wearing of the hats? That was my idea.


I know it looks like a lot of trim, but we ran out. Sigh.

The trim, zoomed-in style. Still need to patch the nail holes.

The nail gun, making holes that need to be patched. Also hanging the trim.

Windows being painted. Is anyone else reading this as bored as I am?
Sheesh, it's like watching paint dry or something.
(HA! get it? like watching paint dry?!)


Andrew forgot to take his crazy pills, so he spent his entire three-day
weekend working on the house. Also he ate some paint.


Zadie was thirsty after all that work.
Hiding under the bed is quite difficult, you know.


You can kind of sort of tell what the room looks like. Nice, isn't it?

So that is that. Lots and lots of painting, a little sanding (all that trim had to be sanded before it could be painted), some nail-gunning, and some more painting. Labor Day Weekend, Part 2 will come shortly. It will be more fun, I promise.

1 comment:

Linda and Matthew said...

I love ambitious household projects. Remind to show you what my backyard and sunroom currently look like. "Finished" is about the most opposite word to describe it.

I await part 2 with bated breath!

By the way, I will mail the book to you this week.