Tuesday, November 4

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Fearing long lines at the polls and needing to get to work for early meetings, Andrew and I woke up at 5:45 this morning (okay, I set my alarm for 5:40 and then hit the snooze button, so I actually got out of bed at precisely 5:49) so we could go vote as soon as the place opened at 6:00. 6:00 in the morning. Which is quite early. I felt like we were headed to the airport for an ungodly early flight or something. Because obviously an early flight is the only reason I am ever headed anywhere at 6:00 in the morning.

We basically rolled out of bed and left. To the delight of the poll workers, we did manage to brush our teeth first. Also Andrew put on pants. I wore my pajamas. In public. Picture this sexy outfit: purple leggings, an oversized orange T-shirt, black ballet flats, and my green jacket. Mussed hair completed the look. What can I say, I am awesome.

We arrived at 6:05 to find ourselves at the end of a line. A line already, at 6:05. Andrew says if I had just gotten up at 5:45, we would have arrived right at 6:00 and there wouldn’t have been a line. I think we would have just had to wait outside. It took about twenty minutes for us to get through the line and vote. And they gave me the standard “I voted” sticker, which means I was able to go get my free Starbucks coffee on the way to work. I hear Krispy Kreme is also handing out freebies to voters.

So if you haven’t already, get out there and vote. No excuses. Especially to my swing-state friends in Missouri. Even if you have to wait longer than twenty minutes, which you probably will, because by the time we left the line was already twice as long as it was when we got there. Take a book, a newspaper, or a magazine and go wait in line. It’s your patriotic duty.

No comments: