Sunday, June 6

He likes to keep me guessing.

I woke up at 4:23am and freaked out. Milo had not yet woken up to eat, and he was asleep by 8:10pm. My heart raced; I was sure something must be wrong. I shook Andrew awake, and he rushed in to Milo's room to check on him.

I sat up, straining to hear something, anything, on the baby monitor. Waiting to hear the panic I felt reflected in Andrew's voice as he called out that something was wrong. But I only heard silence. And then the soft click of the bedroom door shutting. Andrew's footsteps padding back to our room.

Milo was still sleeping. He was absolutely fine.

I, on the other hand, was in quite a state. I don't think I'd ever felt more awake at that hour of the night before. I tried to sleep, but I just lay there. Milo woke up about fifteen minutes later, ready to eat.

Now I'm only concerned because Milo hasn't pooped in nine hours. Not so much looking forward to THAT diaper change.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

When he goes three or four days without pooping, that's when you really get worried. Make sure the extra outfit is always in the diaper bag!

Kenton said...

yeah we sometimes go a day without seeing poop and then see it non stop for a few changes.

katy said...

it took me a LONG time once they started sleeping through the night for ME to remember how to sleep through the night. I actually had a lot of nightmares where I'd wake up and think that I had smothered them in our bed. scary right? yeah, I know the feeling of not being able to sleep when they are.

Linda and Matthew said...

When I first read this I thought, "Ah, that new mom thing" and gently shook my head, you know, as the "experienced" mom and then last night I woke up around 4:30 and Charlotte hadn't made so much as a whimper. I laid in bed for about 15 minutes, straining to hear her breath or something and then got up to check on her. So I guess you never really stop worrying if your kid is ok at night! Hello, humility. Nice to see you again.