Sunday, June 20

He really is Super-Dad-Man. Sadly, he does not wear a cape.


I never wondered whether Andrew would be a great dad. He's been doing this kind of stuff for years. (He bonded with the guy that is now his former college roommate over singing Jesus Christ Superstar in the dorm showers. True story.) I knew Andrew would be silly and fun and playful, but also tender and sweet and loving.

And he is all those things and more. He is always willing to do whatever it takes to soothe a fussy baby. He changes all those pesky middle-of-the-night diapers. He wets our reusable wipes, even though it makes the skin on his hands dry out. He stays up late with me when I decide to pump before bed in order to build up my backup milk supply. He mows the grass and washes the dishes. He takes Milo with him to Home Depot or Costco or wherever so I can take a 20-minute parenting break. He makes me feel beautiful, even though my post-baby body is not what I want it to be. He fills up the water bottle that sits by my nursing spot every night and every morning. And he always asks if there is anything else he can do.

No, Andrew. There isn't anything else you can do. You're already being the best dad. Milo clearly adores you (and I do, too).

It is an awesome thing, seeing your husband turn into a father. I wouldn't have guessed it was possible, but I love him even more. Happy First Father's Day, Andrew.

4 comments:

Linda and Matthew said...

Happy Father's Day, Andrew!

Isn't it the most tender thing to see your husband become a father? Loving him as a husband is amazing, but there are few things more precious than loving him as the father of your children.

Erika Jackson said...

Tears falling down my face. What a cool note. Happy father's day, Andrew.

Stephanie said...

From Andrew's blog, it sounds like you set the bar pretty high... it looks like they'll be sailboats in your future!

Congrats on finding such a great baby-daddy!

Unknown said...

This is so sweet, and so true. Watching a hubby turn into a father is amazing. Just when you didn't think you could love them more... :)

BTW, I'm happy to give you my freezer supply of milk if you want it. Just let me know...