Thursday, July 17

Like sands through the shop vac, so are the days of our lives.

It’s Thursday, and you know what that means: We just had a weekend. Like, four days ago. And that means we spent more time working on the house. A lot of time. On Saturday, we worked from 8:00 in the morning (after going to breakfast at 7) until 5:30, and then Andrew and I spent another 30 minutes cleaning up all the dust and wood shavings. On Sunday, we were much more laid back, working from 8:00 until only 3:30 or so.


What did we accomplish after all those hours of work? We finished adding the new overhead lights and completed all the electrical for them, we installed insulation, and we sanded down the textured walls. And that is it. But my god, the sanding! I hope I never have to do that ever again. (At least until we redo the cat room. And by cat room, I don’t mean a room we have specifically for our cats, I mean the bedroom upstairs that the previous owners painted red with this black and white spatter paint thing, and then put a creepy cat wallpaper border over. I love my kitties and everything, but I’m not so crazy as to want them on my wallpaper.) (yet)


Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, the sanding. What an unpleasant process that is. The sander is hooked up to a shop vac, so at least a lot of the dust gets sucked up, but there are still little paint chips and dust flying around. I wore a mask for breathing purposes, but some of the dust definitely went in my eyes. And the sanders are heavy! And loud! We had two sanders and two shop vacs, so we got it done faster, but the process was much louder. We had ear plugs, which I suppose helped with the noise, but I hate wearing ear plugs. All in all, I don’t recommend it. At least not for recreational use.


For all you HGTV/DIY fans out there, I give you pictures. And a video, so you can hear all the noisy noise. You’re welcome.












1 comment:

Jeff said...

wow... you guys are doing much more than I thought you were.

I was gonna remodel my apartment once. And by remodel I mean staple some red cloth over two crates to use as stands for my two front speakers on my TV. Then I decided it was way too much work, and it may have been beyond my ability.